Posting Cash and Surety Bonds
Bonds & Return of Bonds
If the Court has ordered a surety bond to be posted, you will need to contact a bail bondsman. If the Court has ordered a cash bond, it is paid at the Clerk's office or the Tippecanoe County Jail during regular office hours and at the Tippecanoe County Jail after hours or weekends.
When a bond is posted, a receipt will be written. Keep this receipt! You must have the receipt to have your bond money returned.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Paying a bond does NOT automatically recall the warrant. The court must be contacted after payment to address the warrant recall and schedule a new hearing date.
How to Receive A Refund
To receive a refund of bond money, you must:
- Be the payor of the bond money.
- Defendant must get a release from the Court where the case was filed.
- Bring the original receipt, the release from the Court, and a photo ID to the Tippecanoe County Clerk's Office located on the second floor of the Courthouse.
- The clerk will review your paperwork. Refund checks will not be written until the next day. The check will be sent by US mail to the address provided.
- Or, 60 days after arrest and no charges have been filed by Prosecutor, send email to email@example.com. Please include the following:
- pdf or photo copy of original bond receipt
- pdf or photo copy of arrested party ID
- current address where check should be mailed if prosecutor is not filing charges
Administrative Fees & Court Costs
Ten percent of the amount of the bond, up to a maximum of $50, will be retained by the Clerk's Office as an administrative fee. A $5 Death Benefit fee must be added to the cash bond amount. In addition, the Court may order a portion or all of your bond applied to restitution or court costs.
Name On Bond
Bond refunds will be made payable to and given only to the the person who made the deposit. The defendant will need to apply for the bond refund when the case is decided and if the case has not been dismissed. The court may or may not apply the bond refund toward other court fees. You must bring a photo ID if picking up your check from our office.
- Under Ind. Code § 35-33-8-7(f), the clerk shall return a deposit, less the administrative fee, made under section 3.2(a)(2) of this chapter to the person who made the deposit if the defendant appeared at trial and the other critical stages of the legal proceedings.
PLEASE BE SURE TO USE LOCATION CODE 38034
WHEN POSTING BONDS AT PAYGOV
It is best to pay your bond at the Tippecanoe County Jail, especially during weekends and holidays if you wish to expedite the process.
If you wish to post the cash portion of a bond online and by credit card, please select the PayGOV.US link below. Cash payments not made in person at the clerk's office or at the Tippecanoe County Jail may take several days to process.