To Obtain a Marriage License in Tippecanoe County
One party must reside in the county for the resident fee of $29; if claiming residency and identification shows the current address, no additional documentation is required.
If it does not show current residence, please bring one of the following:
- Copy of lease
- Utility bill
- Bank statement
- Other official document with the current residence address
If neither party is an Indiana resident but the couple intends to be married in Tippecanoe County, the non-resident fee is $69.
Proof of Date of Birth
Each party must prove date of birth; this can be done by presenting one of the following:
- Driver license or ID card showing date of birth
- Certified copy of state-issued birth certificate
- Military identification or discharge papers with date of birth
Age of Consent
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older to marry without special consent.
- Indiana law only allows 16 and 17 year-olds to get married with approval of a juvenile court judge to someone who is no more than four years older.
Both Parties Must Appear
Both parties must appear together in person to apply for a marriage license.
Clerk's Office Location
The Clerk’s Office is located on the 2nd Floor of the Tippecanoe County Courthouse
301 Main Street
Lafayette, IN 47901
The Clerk's office will stop issuing marriage licenses 15 minutes before close.
Marriage licenses are issued:
Monday thru Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
8 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.
If parties complete the application online beforehand, the process should take approximately 5 minutes. Otherwise, a computer is available in the office, but will increase the time needed to complete the application process.
- Debit/credit cards (service fee will apply)
- Personal checks are not accepted
Read the list of Judges who perform weddings (PDF). You must contact their office directly for an appointment. Members of the clergy (including minister, priest, bishop, rabbi, imam) who have been ordained may also officiate marriage ceremonies.
The marriage license is issued the day it is issued and expires in 60 days. It is only valid inside the boundaries of the State of Indiana.
Marriage Record Requests
To obtain a copy of a marriage certificate, please go HERE.
Questions? E-mail us anytime.